Forthcoming work on the A4440 Crookbarrow Way
An update from Worcestershire County Council:
An update on the forthcoming road closures on the A4440 between Whittington and Norton Roundabouts (Crookbarrow Way) following the postponement of the installation of the main beams for the Farm Accommodation Bridge just over a week ago. The road closures are required to facilitate the installation of the Crookbarrow Way Footbridge and Upper Battenhall Farm Accommodation Bridge. Specific closure dates/times are as follows:
- 7pm on Saturday 22nd June to 7pm on Sunday 23rd June – Full closure in both directions – to allow for installation of the main beams for the Farm Accommodation Bridge – for safety reasons the beams will be lifted into place during a full closure of the road and adjacent railway line.
- 7pm on Saturday 29th June to 7pm on Sunday 30th June – Full closure in both directions for safety reasons – to allow the in situ concrete deck of the Farm Accommodation Bridge to be poured.
- 7pm on Saturday 20th July to 6am on Sunday 21st July – Full closure in both directions – to allow for installation of traffic management equipment to facilitate contraflow working on the eastbound carriageway and close the westbound carriageway (see below).
- 7pm on Saturday 27th July to 7pm on Sunday 28th July – Full closure in both directions – to allow for installation of the main span of Crookbarrow Way Footbridge – for safety reasons the bridge will be lifted into place during a full closure of the road and adjacent railway line.
- 7pm on Saturday 3rd August to 6am on Sunday 4th August – Full closure in both directions – to allow for removal of traffic management equipment on the eastbound carriageway and to reopen the westbound carriageway.
During the full closures, diversion routes will be signed for motorists and pedestrians/cyclists. Motorists will be diverted via Bath Road and London Road/Whittington Road – with a longer diversion route for high-sided vehicles travelling in a westbound direction to avoid the low bridge near New College on Whittington Road. Pedestrians and cyclists will be directed to use Red Hill Lane and London Road/Whittington Road.
During the night-time work, noise may rise above normal background levels. Noise reducing pads will be fitted to the site boundary fencing at the rear of properties on Deer Avenue and all work will be undertaken in accordance with Worcestershire Regulatory Service guidelines. Temporary floodlighting will be required during the hours of darkness and care will be taken to angle lighting away from residential properties.
- 6am on Sunday 21st July to 7pm on Saturday 3rd August – contraflow working on the eastbound carriageway – the westbound carriageway will be closed during this period to facilitate the assembly and disassembly of the crane to lift Crookbarrow Way Footbridge into place. Traffic on the eastbound carriageway will operate under the same arrangement as prior to the installation of the railway bridge, with two lanes open in a westbound direction (down the hill) and one lane eastbound (up the hill).
A number of additional single lane closures will be required in both directions throughout the construction period to allow for safe working. These closures will only be deployed during the day at off-peak times, i.e. between 9.30am and 3.30pm. Most of the closures and restrictions highlighted above are to enable completion of the two bridges; a small number of further overnight closures will be required to move the eastbound carriageway onto its final alignment as it is currently on a temporary more southerly alignment to provide working room around the bridges’ northern abutments. Details of these closures are yet to be finalised.
Please note that there may be changes to the dates outlined above if, for example, an operation couldn’t be completed due to high winds.
We will be delivering updated letters outlining the work to nearby local residents tomorrow.